Who we are
A team of highly skilled solicitors with a particular focus and expertise in managing clinical negligence claims.
For urgent queries please contact the GMPI Team on our helpline 029 2090 5454 or by e-mail GMPI@wales.nhs.uk. Scroll down for the FAQs about the scheme.
What we do
- We are commissioned by Welsh Government to operate the Scheme for General Medical Practice Indemnity (GMPI) from 1 April 2019. The initial arrangement relates only to future liabilities. Further information about existing liabilities and run off cover will be published by Welsh Government in its FAQ pages.
- GMPI provides clinical negligence indemnity for providers of GP services in Wales for compensation arising from the care, diagnosis and treatment of a patient following incidents which happen on or after 1 April 2019. In the same way as the English scheme and the defence organisations’ schemes, this scheme is a discretionary scheme.
- We aim to resolve any claim for compensation brought by a patient in relation to their clinical care under the NHS as fairly and as quickly as possible. Equally, we recognise the importance of robustly defending claims where appropriate and of protecting GPs, their staff and their reputations.
- Our Scheme for General Medical Practice Indemnity Guidelines set out details of the Scheme including:
- the scope and coverage of the scheme
- membership of the scheme (including specific guidance for Locum GPs wishing to access the Scheme)
- how and when to contact us if you receive a claim, or are notified of an allegation or negligence or become aware of a matter that may give rise to a claim, or if you wish to discuss any possible breach of duty or liability
- the importance of maintaining an appropriate level of professional indemnity cover with a medical defence organisation for elements of your practice not covered by the Scheme.
- Detailed information for GPs and their general medical practice staff is set out in Appendix A.
- Specific requirements for locum GPs are set out within Appendix B. The implementation of Appendix B is subject to the communication issued on 9 December 2020 (the Sub-Appendix to Appendix B) which can be found here.
- Any queries about Appendix B should be directed to NWSSP’s Employment Services Team by email to: NWSSP.PrimaryCareWNWRS@wales.nhs.uk; or by telephone to 01792 860498/0490.
- Contact form is available in Appendix C.
- Our FAQs about the scheme can be found here.
- Guidance on Indemnity Arrangements During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- We will identify and feedback risk issues for learning and safety improvement in Primary Care.
- If you have any queries and would like to discuss this with a member of our team, please see our contact information below.
Wales Existing Liabilities Scheme
We have been directed by Welsh Government to operate the Existing Liabilities Scheme for eligible clinical negligence claims made against GPs and others working in a general practice setting as a result of an act or omission occurring prior to 1 April 2019.
This Scheme is only available where the medical defence organisation (which ordinarily would have provided the indemnity) have completed an agreement to transfer these liabilities into the Scheme.
To date, only the MDDUS and MPS have completed such an agreement. All eligible claims held by the MDDUS and MPS have been transferred into the Scheme and you should contact us with any queries.
Our Existing Liabilities Scheme Guidelines set out full details of the scheme and what is covered.
If any MDDUS or MPS members are notified of a new claim or a potential claim arising out of an act or omission occurring prior to 1 April 2019, this should be notified to us using Appendix A.
Members of all other medical defence organisations should continue to liaise with those organisations in respect of clinical negligence claims until further notice.
Further information for GPs and GP Practices about the Wales Existing Liabilities Scheme is set out in Welsh Government’s FAQs here ELS FAQs
For post 1 April 2019 clinical negligence claims – GMPI@wales.nhs.uk
For pre 1 April 2019 clinical negligence claims – ELS@wales.nhs.uk
Please set out the basis of your enquiry and L&R will either respond by email or telephone to discuss the issue further.
When reporting a matter to L&R, General Medical Practices should ensure that documents are sent via one of the following routes:
- Secure NHS Wales email account;
- For a non NHS email account, please ensure documents such as the Contact and Information Form which contains patient sensitive data is encrypted (password protected);
- L&R secure web portal (internet access required), please contact the team to request access;
- The NHS Wales Secure File Sharing Portal (also known as MOVEit).
By Telephone - call L&R Claims Helpline on 029 2090 5454 during standard business hours 9.00am – 5.00pm Monday – Friday, to speak to a legal advisor on any scheme coverage issues. This is to deal with any matters covered by the scheme and not medico-legal matters that will be handled by your MDO (or other insurer).
Other useful contacts and information:
For Locum GPs:
If you are a Locum GP and wish to have access to the state-backed Scheme for General Medical Practice Indemnity please contact the Employment Services Division of NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership who can advise on the application process:
Telephone: 01792 860498/ 0490
All Wales Locum Register