Standard 2.5 Nutrition and Hydration
People are supported to meet their nutritional and hydration needs, to maximise recovery from illness or injury.
The health service will need to consider the following criteria for meeting the standard:
- People’s nutritional needs and physical ability to eat and drink are assessed, recorded and addressed. They are reviewed at appropriate intervals and are referred to dietetic services as required for specialist advice and support.
- People are offered a choice of food and drink which is prepared safely and meets the nutritional, therapeutic, religious and cultural needs of all; and is accessible 24 hours a day. People are encouraged to eat nutritious, varied, balanced meals, hygienically prepared and served at regular times.
- Food and drink are served in an acceptable setting, with minimal interruption and are at the right temperature and attractively presented. People have a positive eating experience.
- Carers and family members who wish to support people at meal times are encouraged and enabled to do so.
- If a meal is missed, alternative food is offered and/or snacks and drinks can be accessed at any time.
- Fresh drinking water is available at all times, and water and appropriate fluids are encouraged throughout the day for people to meet their hydration requirements, except when restrictions are required as part of treatment.
- People are provided with therapeutic diets in accordance with their medical needs.
- If eating and/or drinking cause people difficulties, they receive prompt assistance to eat or drink encouragement and appropriate aids or support. People with swallowing difficulties are assessed by a speech and language therapist and where necessary training in assisting people to swallow food or drink safely is given.
- People are supported who require artificial nutritional support via enteral or parenteral routes.
- Where food and drink are provided: a choice of food and drink are offered, which is prepared safely and meets the nutritional, therapeutic, religious and cultural needs of all; and is accessible 24 hours a day.
Standard 2.5 Nutrition and Hydration Supporting Guidance