Standard 2.3 Falls Prevention
People are assessed for risks of falling and every effort is made to prevent falls and reduce avoidable harm and disability.
The health service will need to consider the following criteria for meeting the standard:
- Falls prevention strategies are implemented based on national standards and evidence based guidelines.
- People are assessed for risks to their own safety and the safety of others. A plan for managing risk is agreed between the person being cared for and those caring for them.
- Staff receive appropriate information, training and supervision to ensure that people and their carers are safe.19
- People are encouraged to develop or maintain the level of independence they wish, striking a responsible balance between risk and safety.
- People are able to summon help easily at all times, using a telephone, bell or other convenient means. If unable to do so their needs will be checked regularly.
Standard 2.3 Falls Prevention Supporting Guidance