Standard 2.9 Medical Devices, Equipment and Diagnostic Systems
Health services ensure the safe and effective procurement, use and disposal of medical equipment, devices and diagnostic systems.
The health service will need to consider the following criteria for meeting the standard:
- There is compliance with health, safety and environmental legislation, regulation and guidance.
- Processes ensure that equipment, and devices are maintained, cleaned and calibrated in accordance with manufacturer’s guidelines, ensuring they are appropriate for their intended use and for the environment in which they are used.
- An ongoing programme of training and competence assessment covers staff and users.
- Timely reporting and management arrangements exist to address any device, equipment or system faults in use or in stock, including any alert or warning notices issued by appropriate agencies such as MHRA.
- Suitable and sustainable systems, policies and procedures are in place for medical device decontamination by competent staff in an appropriate environment.
Standard 2.9: Medical Devices, Equipment and Diagnostic Systems Supporting Guidance